What are cookies?
Cookie files (so-called “cookies”) are IT data, in particular text files, which are stored on the Website User’s end device and are intended for using the Website’s pages. Cookies usually contain the name of the website from which they origi-nate, their storage time on the end device and a unique number.
Cookies are used for the purpose
1. Adjusting the content of the Website pages to the User’s preferences and opti-mizing the use of websites; in particular, these files allow to recognize the Web-site User’s device and properly display the website, tailored to his individual needs;
2. Creating statistics that help to understand how Website Users use websites, which allows improving their structure and content;
3. Holding the Website User’s session (after logging in), thanks to which the User does not have to re-enter the login and password on each subpage of the Web-site;
4. The Website uses two basic types of cookies: “session” cookies and “persis-tent” cookies. Session cookies are temporary files that are stored on the User’s end device until logging out, leaving the website or turning off the software (web browser). Persistent cookies are stored on the User’s end device for the time specified in the cookie parameters or until they are deleted by the User.
The Website uses the following types of cookies:
1. “necessary” cookies, enabling the use of services available on the Website, e.g. authentication cookies used for services that require authentication on the Website;
2. cookies used to ensure security, e.g. used to detect fraud in the field of au-thentication on the Website;
3. “performance” cookies, enabling the collection of information on how to use the Website’s pages;
4. “functional” cookies, enabling “remembering” the settings selected by the Userand personalizing the User’s interface, eg in terms of the language or region of the User’s origin, font size, website appearance, etc .;
5. “advertising” cookies, enabling users to provide advertising content more tai-lored to their interests.
The Association of Internet Industry Employers IAB Polska, out of concern for the efficient implementation of new regulations and taking care of the education of Internet users, has prepared a set of guidelines for websites helping them meet their new obligations, and created a website for Internet users www.wszystkooci-asteczkach.pl, which explains the mechanisms related to cookies.
The full text of the amended Telecommunications Law can be found at: http://www.dziennikustaw.gov.pl/DU/2012/1445